Every year during Memorial Day weekend, law enforcement agencies join forces, across the country, day and night to deliver the message of “Click it or Ticket”.
America’s seat belt campaign started on May 21, 2012 and will continue through June 3, 2012. Known as the “Click it or Ticket” campaign, it is recognized as the most successful seat belt enforcement campaign. The goal is to increase seatbelt usage nationally, resulting in a decrease of highway fatalities and injuries due to non-seat-belt use.
Some facts and suggestions to consider over the holiday weekend:
- Buckling your seat belt is the most effective thing you can do to protect yourself in the event of a collision.
- Wearing a seat belt can reduce the risk of an injury during a collision by 50 percent.
- Airbags are designed to work with seat belts, not instead of them.
- In 2010, seat belts saved 12,546 lives nationwide.
- 31 states consider failure to use a seat belt a primary offense and therefore you can be pulled over and cited by law enforcement for failing to wear them.
- Research has shown that men between the ages of 18 and 34 are less likely to wear seatbelts.
- All occupants of the vehicle should be buckled up while the vehicle is in motion.
- Children under 12 should always be in the back seat in age appropriate safety seats.
- Seat belts should always be used properly.
By following a few simple guidelines regarding seat belt use, we can reduce the risk of injuries and even fatalities when involved in a collision.
Have a wonderful holiday weekend and as always, drive safely!