These days it can feel like we are all drinking from the telematics ‘firehose’ of data.
Having telematics data available is one thing, but interpreting what it is trying to tell you and then determining how to leverage that intel to make tangible improvements, adds another layer of complexity.
If you’re suffering from information overload you should consider establishing simple telematics goals and objectives that can help you take advantage of the data you’ve collected. The result can benefit your business by helping to optimize areas such as driver safety, measuring downtime, taking control of fuel spend, tracking assets, and increasing the overall productivity and efficiency of your fleet – just to name a few.
With that in mind, here are a few key pointers that can help you simplify your telematics strategy to make the most of your data.
- Start small. Ask yourself simple questions such as, ‘What is the problem I’m trying to solve?’ and address your most important operational challenges. By doing this, you can focus on specific goals that will make a meaningful impact on your business.
- It may be beneficial to consider starting with a limited amount of data. Using customizable dashboards and filters to monitor the data and key performance indicators that are relevant to your initial goals is a great way to avoid information overload.
- Once you’ve customized your dashboards you can begin to set up specific reporting features that can, for example, help individual drivers understand their performance, and help you manage driver behavior.
- Establish benchmarks for evaluating the progress of your strategy. Once you have experienced success in your targeted areas, you can use these insights to address training, corrective action plans, and future projections.
- Finally, testing the waters by rolling out your strategy in a small pilot program to a fraction of your fleet, can make getting started with telematics less daunting and allows you to assess what works and what doesn’t.
Remember to stay committed and be patient. Just like working out at the gym, change isn’t going to happen overnight, but if you’re dedicated, incremental progress will make a big impact over time.
Narrowing your focus down to key strategic priorities will help you make the most out of your data from the start. If you want to learn more about how you can avoid other blind spots in your telematics strategy click here. Ready to get connected? Let ARI help you plug into your fleet data with a telematics solution that works for your business. Click here to get started.
You can find more information on telematics and other industry updates by subscribing to our newsletter, The Morning Brake. Click here to sign up.